What you’re about to see are 35 phrases (33 of which are mine) that have guided me and can guide you to greatness in speaking.
I suggest that you hang up these phrases where you can see them, because internalizing these speaking truths will dramatically and automatically drive you to make a deeper connection than you’ve ever felt before with your audiences.
This can lead to an explosion of lucrative speaking opportunities! Ready? Let’s dive in.
35 Phrases to Guide You to Greatness in Speaking
- “Let your long road lead to their shortcut.”
- “You can’t rush and resonate.”
- “Don’t add humor; uncover it.”
- “Speak to one but look to all.”
- “Tease them before you tell them.”
- “Speak like you talk, not like you write.”
- “Put the process, not the person, on a pedestal.”
- “When you lift yourself up, you let your audience down.”
- “Condense to connect.”
- “Come across as similar, not special.”
- “The phrase determines what stays.”
- “When you squeeze your information in, you squeeze your audience out.” Old speaker proverb
- “No phrase, no stage”
- “What’s loose is lost”
- “If you take us through the problem, then take us through the payoff.”
- “Conflict is the hook and dialogue is the heart”
- “Let your story become their story”
- “What you pick up in the Cure, you hand them out the door”
- “Don’t tell; ask”
- “Sell the belief before the relief.”
- “Don’t be the Guru of your own story.”
- “You can’t create a message without first creating a mess.”
- “What gets recorded gets rewarded.”
- “Too many speakers try to get across too much information in too little time.”
- “Never sell a product, always sell the result.”
- “Put the result before the resource (or request).”
- “Never close your speech with the Q & A.”
- “Show it before you say it.”
- “People buy into what they help create.” Old saying on influence.
- “Give a hint and let your audience fill in the rest.”
- “It’s the look before and after the line that makes the line.”
- “Don’t just establish conflict, escalate it.”
- “Don’t speak for standing ovations, speak for standing invitations.”
- “Check the VAKS.”
- “People remember best what they hear first and last.”
Bonus phrase (from my son Ace when he was 8 years old):
“When the chips are down…eat them!”
My Final Thoughts/Your Turn
Sometimes we just need a reminder. These phrases act as valuable reminders for me. What are some phrases or reminders that guide you when you speak?
One year from now, how would you like to be 3 times better than the speaker you are today?
If so, visit my FREE program http://www.52SpeakingTips.com
In addition, if you are very serious about becoming a profitable professional speaker, make sure you visit my other FREE video program http://50speakingsecrets.com/. It’s half as long and twice as strong as the original tips. Together, both of these FREE programs can help you become the speaker others sign up and line up to see.
Latest posts by Craig Valentine (see all)
- Can You Become More Likable as a Speaker? - September 6, 2019
- A Little-Known Delivery Secret to Connect Quickly with Your Audience - June 21, 2019
- 35 Phrases to Guide You To Greatness in Speaking - June 4, 2019